Thursday, January 10, 2013

Coming out from under the rock

Holy Crap, I've been hiding under a rock...well not a rock, but I guess you can call it the newborn cave.  My nugget is 12 weeks now!  She is doing all sorts of fun things and laughing and being super cute!

Things I have learned-

1. Spit up is no joke-poor Isla has reflux and man, does she like to show it.  She may wear 3 outfits a day and it's not because she is a diva, it's because she has soaked it with curdled milk...maybe she is a diva and does it on purpose to have all these outfit changes and blames it on acid reflux.

2. We gave her a name that gets mispronounced easily! Never even thought about it.  The receptionist at the doctor's office explained it well, the S is silent.  Pronounced like island, not Islam or like Madonna's song La Isla Bonita.  She may hate me later on for this. Sorry Isla!

3. Cloth diapering-not so bad...please refer to #1 and the 3 outfit changes, we do laundry everyday anyway. We do put her in a disposable at night (she started peeing through her diapers since she is sleeping longer, hallelujah!  BUT yet another outfit change!),  it's a biodegradable disposable from the Honest Company, Jessica Alba's gig, check them out! www.honest.com  I am starting to buy the more absorbent cloth diapers so we shall see.

4. Breastfeeding is not as glamorous as one might think.  We had a rough go at first with her reflux but now it's much better.  I'm noticing that public places don't have places to nurse the little ones and people make such a big deal about mother's doing it in public. Have you read the recent story of a mothers being harassed by mall security. Check out Jubilee Baby Co blog, they have all the info on the story. http://www.jubileebabyco.com/1/post/2013/01/breaking-news-mothers-of-nursing-children-asked-to-leave-mall.html.  Apparently the mall has apologized since...

 I saw a woman the other day nurse her son in Target in the cafe area while I was in line at Starbucks, I wanted to go up to her and thank her for doing it in public, I didn't because I didn't want to scare the crap out of her, I chickened out, grabbed my chai tea latte and left.

5. I've lost close to 30 lbs...go me, however, my body is not the same as it once was and its going to take a while to get back into shape...I have to remember 12 weeks in the grand scheme of things is not a super long time so I need to be patient, I don't get to work out as much as I would like to but it will come in time.  Of course after I start going to yoga more, I get sick-my middle finger goes up to you flu season!

6. Also with being patient is learning I can no longer do it all and to ask for some help!

7. referring to #6- being sick on top of having a child is brutal...I needed help, Logan had to come home from work.  I was so thankful I was able to take a nap while he entertained her.  This week has been rough, I'm finally starting to feel better.

8. I've learned motherhood is such a lesson- unconditional love, patience, learning to prioritize my time and when I can shower...she is asleep, so off to shower I go!


No comments: